1. Discuss the idea of the somatic society with reference to a range of contemporary examples from media and culture.
2. Examine the relationship between the body and consumer culture with reference to the ideas of Bourdieu and / or Featherstone that you have studied on the module. Support your answer with examples from popular culture
3. What can the fitness and cosmetic surgery industries tell us about the body in contemporary culture? Support your answer with examples.
4. Examine the way black and white bodies are represented in media culture. What are the political implications of this? Support your answer with examples.
5. Class comes to be symbolised by bodily lack of control, excess, waste, danger, unruly, without taste, without hygiene, sexual and without shame (Beverly Skeggs) Discuss with reference to contemporary media culture.
6. How does the cyborg Donna Haraway imagines challenge existing norms about the body related to gender, race, and technology? In 2016, are we all cyborgs? Why or why not?