BOOK TITLE: Double Indemnity by James M. Cain
BOOK LINK: https://www.unz.org/Pub/CainJames-1943-00217?View=PDF
MODULE/ LECTURE NOTES: Attached word or pdf file
I will also include effective essay tips that my teacher included
Choose 1 of the following topics to compose an essay on:
1. Explore how suspense is used in the novella. Explain the theory behind what makes the book a page turner. Give examples.
2. What features of the hard-boiled genre do we see in this book, and what comments on mid 20th century America is the book suggesting?
3. What characteristics of noir can we see in this novella and what comments on 1930s/40s America is the text suggesting?
4. What makes Phyllis a femme fatale figure? Define and illustrate the term, as well as what comments on women the archetype and character may be offering readers.
5. Compare and contrast the book version with the 1944 film adaptation (you will have to get a copy of the movie and watch it).
6. Explore the character of Walter Huff. Who is he and what are his motives? Why does he decide to commit a crime, and then tell us the story? How ambiguous a figure is he? Give examples.
5-6 pages typed, double spaced.
Include a title page with your name, instructor, course name, date.
Design a suitable essay title: be creative and practical.
A short intro to set up the issue with a clear and detailed thesis.
Define key terms. Include examples/quotations from the novella.
Include notes/ideas from lecture (I will attach this)
Be ANALYTICAL–consider HOW and WHY.
Insert an appropriate conclusion that provides a summary and sense of an ending.
Include a bibliography of sources used. MLA or APA format.
Document format must either be docx. RTF, or PDF.
Book title must be italic