Signature Assignment SWK 501: Izzie Case Reflection Paper
EPAS 2.1.4 Engage Diversity and Difference in Practice (pb a,b,c,d)
Read the case of Izzie, provided in your Canvas course shell. Students will write a 15 page APA 6th edition format paper (title page and references page do not count in the required
page length), using Times New Roman 12 point font.
Please be sure to review the grading rubric for the assignment so that you understand all of the components required for the assignment prior to beginning the paper.
Read the case study of Izzie. Analyze the case study of Izzie according to the following areas:
1. In working with the family system, point out ways that you could assist in diminishing the following (oppression, marginalization, alienation, privilege and power)?
(Pay particular attention to areas that are addressed by EPAS 2.1.4 and its Practice Behaviors and areas that are outlined on the rubric).
2. In carefully reflecting on this case, describe the ways in which you would attempt to eliminate any influence of your own personal biases and values in working with this family system. Also, provide at least three specific examples of how you would ensure in your work with Izzie and her family that you would not impose your own personal biases and values on them.
3. Explain, using specific examples, how you would intervene with this client. Focus on the problems identified under Intervention, and those identified under Reunification. Follow the rubric in its entirety, and in order. You may incorporate research from peer reviewed journal articles to support your paper.
4. Use the text to demonstrate an exceptional awareness of how a cultures structures and values may impact intervention strategies that address the following:
a. Oppression (pgs. 39-42 in text)
c. Alienation (Refer to supplemental articles/materials)
d. Privilege [pgs. 23-24] and power [pgs. 36-39]
5. From a policy perspective, what are some of the alternatives to the hard line the Family House administrator has given Izzie?
6. Discuss how the combination of race, class and gender affected Izzie and her familys interaction with the police, CPS, the shelter, the housing authority, and the Family house.
7. When the family is completely reunified, what cultural, gender and class issues might arise within the family?