Choose TWO contemporary business leaders (two from your own organisation; OR two from an organisation you know well; OR two business leaders from public life) and write an argued essay:
compare and contrast their leadership styles, using one distinct style for each of the two leaders (for example, you may choose for the first leader the charismatic style of leadership whilst assessing the second leader via situational leadership);
compare and contrast these leaders personalities, values and styles of leadership and
discuss how these differences have contributed to the success or otherwise of the individuals and teams they have led.
Your analysis should include the following:
– Introduction outlining the context (i.e. leader choice and brief justification for choice), aims and assignment structure, (probably 250 – 300 words maximum);
– A brief description of your chosen theory base (e.g. personality theories, leadership theories; concepts of power & influence) along with the rationale for this choice (probably 500- 600 words maximum);
– Application of selected theories to the chosen leaders as the basis for analysis. Critical evaluation and reflection of these theories in the light of their application (probably 900 1100 words maximum);
– Conclusions, identifying key similarities and distinctions between the two leaders (probably 200 – 250 words maximum).
1. Choosing your leaders make sure you select those who are reasonably known to you and are, indeed, leaders not managers.
2. Leadership theory selection ensure your chosen theories (one theory per leader) are taken from the BREO material ( will attached it from it, as its university page) ) . Wider internet searches are discouraged unless the material is identified / referenced from within the Unit material identified.
You are encouraged, where possible, to select distinct, contemporary leadership styles applicable to modern day work settings. Words are limited, so focus on the key features of your selected leadership theory rather than long, meandering, textbook like description.
3. Application this is where the bulk of the marks are and the presence of which will determine a higher grade answer. Words are limited, so make sure you use identified criteria (outlined in your Introduction?) against which to assess the effectiveness of that leader / leadership style.
4. Paragraph structure remember this is a persuasive piece of writing where you are trying to convince the reader of your logic and evidence.
5. Sources these should include a balance of academic articles (not too much reliance on the course text, please) and practitioner literature (for example research undertaken by professional bodies such as the CIPD / People Management etc.
Focus on BREO materials ( will attached it from it, as its university page) and the sources they lead you to. Rather than indiscriminate internet searches please use search engines such as the University of Bedfordshires Discover search engine. This should ensure you are using high quality material as the basis of your answer.
** will attached the notes which I took it in the class for this paper as additional guide.
*** very important to use CIPD in the cite.